Work package 4 is maintained by the project coordinator based at the Department of Epidemiology of the Lazio Regional Health Service in Italy.
The aim of this work package is to define a framework of tools to reduce the health impacts of heat waves and cold spells. Tasks included in this package are:
- To identify research gaps on the health impacts of heat waves and health exposures of cold spells (literature review, case studies);
- To identify a set of indicators of the health impacts of heat waves and cold spells (mortality, hospital admissions, paediatric hospital admissions, General Practitioners consultations);
- To provide tools for health surveillance and monitoring;
- To perform an update of the overview of heat plans currently present in Europe;
- To draw up a common methodology for the evaluation of heat plans in terms of warning systems performance and public health measures (including the evaluation of prevention measures targeted to vulnerable population subgroups);
- To develop health plans to mitigate the impact of cold spells; and
- To provide a framework of tools to improve preparedness for and response to the impact of heat waves and cold spells specifically tailored to vulnerable subgroups.
- Protocol including methods for health impact assessment
- Indicators to monitor the health impact
- Procedures to implement/evaluate prevention measures and warning systems
Matteo Scortichini, Department of Epidemiology, Lazio Regional Health Service ASL RM1 on annual variations in the health effects of heat waves